Biosciences Initiative News
- Biosciences Initiative offers new Core Lab Funding Program (2/8/19) - BSI is proud to announce The Core Lab Funding Program, a funding opportunity that aims to enhance technology at existing core laboratories and/or create new core laboratories to advance the research capabilities of U-M investigators.
- Biosciences Initiative issues second round of Request for Applications (2/1/19) - BSI invites U-M Ann Arbor faculty to submit proposals for funding in two categories: Scientific Research Initiatives and Exploratory Funding. This announcement marks the second round of this RFA.
- Newsletter: Winter 2018 - BSI launches its first newsletter edition, which includes updates on activities over the last year and upcoming events to be on the lookout for, including new funding opportunities. Stay up to date on BSI activities by subscribing to our newsletter at the bottom of this News page.
- STEM education system needs sweeping changes, current and former university presidents agree (11/20/18) - The U.S. system of graduate and postgraduate education in science, technology, engineering and mathematics has been the gold standard for the rest of the world for decades. However, the current STEM education system has failed to change with the times and does not meet the needs of 21st century students.
- Biosciences Community Kick-off celebrates first year progress and introduces inaugural scientific initiatives (12/7/18) - The BSI community gathers together to celebrate a successful first year of the initiative, including awarding over $40 million to nine different grantees and building relationships with partners like the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative.
- U-M Biosciences Initiative invests $45M in groundbreaking research (10/29/18) - BSI propels U-M forward by investing millions with its first funding opportunity. Twenty-eight proposals were submitted for the first round of Biosciences Initiative grant funding. The nine selected projects include researchers from all U-M schools and colleges that work in the biosciences and will provide startup funding to hire up to 14 new faculty members.
- 2018 RFA: Nine Applications Invited to Advance to Full Proposal (6/21/18) - BSI’s inaugural funding opportunity advances, announcing the top nine scientific initiative research proposals invited to submit a full proposal for BSI funding support.
- Biosciences Initiative releases first Request for Applications (2/12/18) - President Mark Schlissel’s Biosciences Initiative issues its first RFA to U-M faculty, calling for high-impact research initiatives focused on solving critical problems in the biosciences. Applications in three funding categories — Scientific Research Initiatives, Science Synergy Initiatives and Exploratory Funding — will be considered annually from FY 2019 – FY 2022.
- Biological Sciences Scholars Program (BSSP) expanded to all of U-M (11/17/17) - The goal for this Biosciences Initiative funding is to extend the success of the BSSP program in junior faculty recruiting across the entire biosciences community.
- Podcast: The Biosciences Initiative at the University of Michigan (8/31/17) - U-M President Mark Schlissel and Roger Cone, Vice Provost and Director of the Biosciences Initiative, discuss BSI at the university.
Stay in touch: