Skip to content
Biosciences Initiative News
- 2021 Biosciences Community Celebration - After many Biosciences Initiative activities were paused in 2020 and 2021, BSI leaders were thrilled to host an in-person Biosciences Community Celebration in September 2021. This event provided an opportunity to recognize the substantial accomplishments and efforts from our research community, as they pushed through the challenges brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic. During this event, Read more
- Peter Reich named director of Institute for Global Change Biology - Peter Reich, a renowned expert in forest ecology, has been named director of the Institute for Global Change Biology at the School for Environment and Sustainability.
- New $13.8M center will study infectious diseases, pandemics - The U-M Biosciences Initiative is awarding $13.8 million over five years to the new Michigan Center for Infectious Disease Threats, to allow researchers to work across disciplines on infectious disease preparedness and response.
- Rural Michigan Farmers’ Health Concerns and Experiences: A Focus Group Study - Rural residents comprise approximately 15% of the United States population. They face challenges in accessing and using a health care system that is not structured to meet their unique needs. It is important to understand rural residents’ perceptions of health and experiences interacting with the health care system to identify gaps in care.
- U-M Biosciences Initiative reviews progress & looks to the future (7/15/21) - The ongoing efforts of the Biosciences Initiative are detailed in a new progress report available on the Biosciences Initiative website.
- New BSI award recognizes mid-career excellence (6/17/21) - The MBioFAR program aims to recognize and provide the most meritorious mid-career faculty with additional discretionary resources to facilitate innovative and higher-risk research that might not otherwise be supported by conventional granting agencies.
- Newsletter: Fall 2020 - BSI releases its fourth newsletter edition, which includes updates on the Michigan Center for Infectious Disease Research, our Scientific Research Initiative and Core Lab Funding Program grantees, 2020 biosciences activities, our BSSP and MLSF partners, and more. Stay up to date on BSI activities and subscribe at the bottom of this News page.
- BSI Community Letter: COVID-19 (4/29/20) - During this challenging time, BSI is committed to doing our part to help in the fight against the pandemic. This message includes the latest updates from BSI and guidance for operations of all BSI programs.
- Final round of SRI and Exploratory funding RFA (3/16/20) - BSI has issued its third and final request for applications of scientific research initiatives and exploratory funding. With this RFA, BSI seeks high-impact projects from U-M faculty as they aim to solve critical problems in the biosciences.
- BSI awards $20M for high-impact research (12/9/19) - A plan to develop three-dimensional tissue transcriptomics, a proposal to engineer programmable biomaterials, and a center for advanced research in brain cancer are among the latest projects funded by U-M’s Biosciences Initiative. Three large projects and a fourth smaller one, totaling more than $20 million, will be funded this fiscal year.
Stay in touch: