The Biosciences Initiative seeks to strengthen research and education in the biosciences across U-M. Achieving that goal requires building on our inherent strengths across disciplines to identify activities to advance research, education, core resources, and administration in the biosciences. To that end, this presidential initiative works to facilitate and fund cutting-edge research and support top-of-the-line grantees.
Find details on our current funding opportunities below: Core Lab Funding Program, 2019 Request for Applications.
Core Lab Funding Program:
The Core Lab Funding Program is a Biosciences Initiative funding opportunity that aims to enhance technology at existing core laboratories and/or create new core laboratories to advance the research capabilities of U-M investigators. This program is similar to the NIH S10 Equipment Grant. Proposals require a plan to make any proposed new cores fully sustainable after a three-year launch period.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on an ongoing, rolling basis beginning March 15.
Core Lab Funding Program Resources:
2019 Request for Applications:
The Biosciences Initiative requests proposals for forward-looking, high impact scientific research endeavors within the biosciences. Proposals should take advantage of the breadth of bioscience and convergent disciplines at U-M, and thus may be transdisciplinary in nature, may include convergent disciplines, and should be organized around the principle of creating globally-leading research programs, focused on solving major problems in the biosciences. Proposals will be considered in two categories: Scientific Research Initiatives, which are efforts designed to advance major new directions in transdisciplinary discovery; and Exploratory Funding, which is focused on early stage experimental activities.
Applications will be accepted once invitations for full proposals are issued.
Key RFA Dates:
- March 6, 2019: Workshop to answer questions and discuss details of RFA – Central Campus.
- March 12, 2019: Workshop to answer questions and discuss details of RFA – North Campus.
- April 30, 2019: Letter of Intent Due Date (not required for Exploratory Funding)
- May 31, 2019: Invitations for Full Proposals
- Aug. 30, 2019: Due Dates for Proposals
- Dec. 1, 2019: Notice of Award
2019 RFA Resources – updates ongoing
2018 RFA Resources
- Biosciences Initiative Grant Review Process
- Exploratory Funding Proposal Form
- Biosciences Initiative Full Proposal Form
- 2018 Biosciences Initiative RFA document
- 2018 Biosciences Initiative RFA: Submission Steps at a Glance
- Find collaborators using our Experts search
- Scientific Research Initiative LOI form
- Scientific Synergy Initiative LOI form
- BIOSCIENCES LOI and Grant Submission Guidelines